Hi guys and welcome to another edition of our best FM 2018 tactics series. You may remember last years 4-1-2-3 which proved to be one of our most popular downloads yet in it’s FM 2017 version, well here is version 3.0 recreated for FM 2018. If you like devastating attacks, plenty of excitement and edge of your seat Football this is the tactic for you. Plenty of goals and pressing Football for all. But before moving on, remember to bookmark this page with all the FMS tactics for Football Manager 2018. :)
Best FM 2018 Tactics: Formation
This system is based around the popular 4-1-2-3, or 4-5-1 as some prefer. The two central defenders and half back offer security…the rest? Well its a bit chaotic with complete wing backs bombing on the overlap, two attacking central midfielders making late runs into the box, a false nine pulling defenders away and two marauding inside forwards with the freedom to do as they please.
Sounds like a defensive nightmare I know, but that three man defensive shield keeps it all together and every player is instructed to mark tightly and close down so they all do a job defensively. This FM 2018 version is very similar to last years, shape and roles haven’t changed but I have made a few amendments to individual instructions.
Best FM 2018 Tactics: Team Instructions
All instructions should remain the same regardless of opponent, the only time you may feel the need to adjust is if your opponent pack out the middle of the field and you keep losing possession as a result, then playing a little wider may help. This is a pressing tactic that unsettles the opposition and includes some very physical play.
Before we move on, please do not ask me to list the individual player instructions, I have made the effort of making, testing and writing this tactic up, adding the individual instructions would just make the post too long. However, the player instructions are very, very important and that is why I have put this football manager tactic up for download.
Best FM 2018 Tactics: Player Roles
GK – goalkeeper (defend) – standard goalkeeper
CD – central defender (defend) – typical central defenders as ever, tackling, positioning, strength and heading are key attributes, try and avoid slow centre backs as you can be in danger of the counter attack and passes over the top.
DR/DL – complete wing backs (attack) – Very important to the success of this tactic. These guys overlap the inside forwards and a better cross means more goals. Though must work hard to get back and speed is vital also.
DM – half back (defend) – This guy can drop back to form a three man defence or act as a shield in front of your defence so he needs to tackle, head the ball, mark and pass. Defensive attributes are best but an all round midfielder would be ideal.
CM – central midfielder (attack) – The complete midfielder would be ideal but players with great physical ability and good speed are best, both CM’s are instructed to get further forward and dribble more as well as move into channels. They must be able to pass and the better they are in front of goal the more they’ll score.
AMR/AML – inside forward (attack) – lots of goals and assists from these two players, they have a lot of freedom and you need someone who has vision, flair, speed, dribbling and finishing ability. Also off the ball is important as the ability to be lost in the box will make scoring easier. The better these two are the more success you will gain and magician dribblers are preferred but I also found long shot ability a handy extra.
ST – false nine (support) – Possibly the hardest position to fill. This guy must do it all, he needs speed, dribbling, flair and the usual finishing attributes. Off the ball is very important as is anticipation but don’t underestimate how good passing should be, this guy needs to pick out the inside forwards. Note I found great false nines that didn’t work as they could not carry the ball well, so get speed and dribbling ability.
Best FM 2018 Tactics: Top Tips
- Note, this tactic can seem inconsistent at times. You may be watching in key highlights mode and not seeing all the chances your players are missing. If your players are not creating chances then you do not have a suitable squad to use this system. Remember the front three are key.
- As with any tactic it needs loading at the start of pre-season. Also avoid signing a whole new team unless you are experienced doing so. These two things will see you under perform not because of a poor tactic but because of poor management.
- Pre-season: General training – team cohesion with high intensity.
- During Season: General Training – balanced (medium intensity), Match Preparation – take assistants advice and judge by form, I found attacking movement most often when on song.
- For opposition instructions use your assistant manager or coach with best tactical knowledge.
- Be aware you need a decent size squad. At least two players per position to allow for injuries and bans if you are in Europe.
- If you do not have suitable players for the DR, DL, AMR, AML and ST then this tactic will be hindered.
Best FM 2018 Tactics: Download
If you would like to give the tactic a try, follow the instructions below:
1. Click the download link above and download the file.
2. Once the file is downloaded move it to the following folder documents>sports interactive>football manager 2018>tactics
3. Now load the game as normal and enter the tactics screen.
4. In the tactics screen, click the tactic you currently have loaded then select ‘load’ from the drop-down menu
5. Select ‘Darren’s devastating 4-1-2-3 3.0′ and click load.
Thanks for reading. Please feel free to leave a comment. Hope you enjoy :)
FM 2020 Latest
/ 2 weeks ago
This Football Manager youth development guide explains how one crop of wonderkids took Scarborough from the...
/ 1 month ago
How do you find Wonderkids In Football Manager? This guide will focus on how...
/ 2 months ago
What are Football Manager touchline shouts and why should we use them? This guide...
/ 2 months ago
This Football Manager player personality guide follows on from our investigation into which attributes stimulate...
Subscribe to our Newsletter
- Best Football Manager 2020 Tactics: The 3 Amigo’s Big Game System
- FM20 Wonderkid: Luis Florentino – Manchester United’s Missing Piece
- FM 2020 Story | Roda to Glory: Troubling the Top Teams
- Football Manager Youth Development Guide: Lower League to Top Flight
- FM20 Wonderkid: Kai Havertz – A Touch Of Class For Chelsea